Science Online

Participating U3A’s

• Runnymede Area
  • Yately and District
  • Torridge

Next Meeting

Our next meeting will be held on February 10th, 2021 and can be joined via the link below

Join Zoom Meeting

Previous Meetings

December7th

Scientific Heroes

We have 2 presentations planned

Max Plank-Discreet not Continuous Neil Allan Yately and District

Alfred Russel Wallace-The Forgotten Man of Evolution Barry Zussman Torridge

After talking about the presentations we will have a short discussion about Citizen Science. For some background follow Do Something Great.

Join the Discussion

We have decided to try out a conversation facility to go with this page .It will be used initially to share thoughts and ideas about the Forum .If you you are logged onto the site you can simply type your comment and submit, if not you will be asked for your name and email address to enable you to submit .

Notify of
guest
15 Comments
newest
oldest
Inline Feedbacks
2 months ago

Interesting article: There’s no way we could stop a rogue AI. https://bigthink.com/technology-innovation/superintelligent-ai-planck?rebelltitem=1#rebelltitem1

Last edited 2 months ago by Steve Carpenter
2 months ago

Dr Hannah Fry chairs this. You’ve seen her on the telly a lot. The first one is tomorrow at 6.30pm, so sign up right away!

2 months ago

For our S&T meeting last Wednesday, we had a great talk by Sue Foy from Chester u3a entitled ‘A Life Less Plastic’. Really informative but also shocking, a definite ‘must see’ for anyone who cares about the future. I’ll make sure to post a link to the recording when I’ve done a little editing. As an introduction, it included a short YouTube video which you can see here:

Sue has also sent me this very shocking news piece as a follow-up:

2 months ago

I signed up to the IBM World Community Grid project and have already returned four results for the Mapping Cancer Markers research team. So simple. Why not donate your unused CPU clock cycles to a good cause?

Reply to  Laurence
2 months ago

Thanks for that one. I’d heard about Zooniverse via an RAL talk but didn’t engage at all. So far, I’m very impressed with the information and feedback I’m getting from the World Community Grid. I was tempted with the SETI project years ago, but let it slip past. Now it doesn’t seem quite so important as our more worldly issues.

Reply to  Laurence
2 months ago

Great idea Laurence.

Reply to  Steve Carpenter
2 months ago

Here’s a better link (it gives me Brownie points!):

2 months ago

Many thanks Tom for an interesting and thought-provoking talk this morning and to Laurence for organising it. We can see the singularity coming just as we saw global warming coming. Will we do anything about it? What can be done about it? I was keen to find out more about the IBM-sponsored World Community Grid project. It’s a bit like SETI-at-home, but for solving the world’s most important and difficult problems on earth, eg, childhood cancer, Covid-19 treatments, rainfall forecasting in sub-Saharan Africa, study of the human microbiome and disease, etc. It’s safe, secure and does not adversely impact upon… Read more »

Jo Corke
Jo Corke
3 months ago

I enjoyed the five presentations. I agree that the presenters could have been given a bit more time and that time for the audience to put some questions would be good. Two presentions of 15 minutes each then time for questions within an hour seems about right to me. 90 minutes seems a bit long because audience concentration is always limited.
“Science heroes” gives plenty of scope.

Barry Zussman
Barry Zussman
Reply to  Jo Corke
3 months ago

I agree with Jo about 90 minutes being too long, and that we should aim to finish within the hour.

Barry Zussman
Barry Zussman
3 months ago

Hello everyone! With Laurence’s help, I’ve finally managed to log in. I’d like to wish all of you a ?merry? Christmas (what’s left of it)! Here’s a cartoon to raise a smile amid the gloom.
Barry

Joke (1).jpg
Reply to  Laurence
3 months ago

But not the photo of Barry’s above, I trust! (Presumably the b&w pic under the title. I would echo the suggestions on time allocation, etc.
Laurence, if you’re using two fingers to type, try switching them over. Alternatively, search for space+stop and replace with stop+space. I will lob you a couple of sentences for local/science heroes via email.

The penalty for not commenting will be revealed at our next meeting. Laurencex
x